This program provides the opportunity for high-achieving students to simultaneously complete a Miami University bachelor's degree and a master's degree in computer science. The combined program is open to students of any major, provided they meet admission requirements (see below).
Students admitted to the combined degree program may count nine credit hours of their graduate coursework towards both their bachelor's and master's degrees, thus enabling them to complete their degrees in an accelerated fashion.
With an undergraduate major in computer science or software engineering students can complete the combined program in five years. Sample plans of study are here: Computer Science, Software Engineering
Admission to the Combined Program
- Students can declare their interest in the combined program anytime during their academic career at Miami, from the time they apply for undergraduate admission.
- Upon earning a minimum of 64 hours and having a GPA of 3.25 or greater, students may apply to our combined program by completing the Graduate School application.
- To begin graduate study, students should have credit for the following undergraduate courses:
- CSE 174, CSE 201, CSE 271, CSE 274, CSE 278
- Either CSE 283 OR CSE 381
- MTH 151, MTH 231, MTH 251
- At least 15 additional credit hours of intermediate or advanced coursework in computer science or a closely related field
- Students that meet these requirements are guaranteed admission to our program, bypassing the normal competitive admissions procedure
- Visit http://cse.muohio.edu/csGraduateApplication to apply
- Combined students can begin taking graduate courses after they have earned 80 credit hours.
- Students in the combined program will remain undergraduates until they submit a request to the Graduate School to have their classification changed from undergraduate to graduate (or until they apply for graduation). Students must have completed a minimum of 128 hours to be classified as a graduate student. Students may receive their bachelor’s degree prior to completing their master’s degree. Upon receiving the bachelor’s degree, students will automatically be classified as graduate students. Students receiving the bachelor’s degree prior to completing the master’s degree can count up to 9 hours of graduate course work toward their bachelor’s degree.
- A minimum of 150 hours is required for the combined program; 120 semester hour minimum for a bachelor's degree and 30 hour minimum for a master's degree.
- Students in the combined program are eligible to hold a graduate assistantship or graduate grant-in-aid upon being classified as graduate students.
- Both full-time and part-time students are eligible for this program, but full-time status is recommended.
If you are interested in this program or have further questions, please contact the Master in Computer Science (MCS) program director at SEASGrad(at)muohio.edu. You may also wish to visit the MCS program web page, http://cse.muohio.edu/csmasters
Laste updated: Oct 17, 2012.